Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Hat for Jessica

So a friend of mine who lives in Canada, asked me one day to make a hat for her friend's step-daughter.  She's 7 years old and is being treated for Cancer.  Her thoughts were, to have something so Jessica could cover her head after her hair fell out from treatment.  I know what that means as my dh's beloved Aunt Rosalie lost hers a few times I think from her treatments.  

So, I was on a quest.  To make a hat for Jessica.  At first, I thought of making a floppy style with a wide brim like I had made Kate when she was 3/4 as part of an outfit I made her at the time.  Actually, using the same remnant fabric from that outfit.  Kate is pictured below wearing it with her My Twinn doll Kate2.  She was almost 4 here and tried on the outfit to see fit (she's just now outgrowing this outfit at 5 1/2).




The more I thought about it though, the more I wanted to make something else.  I recently acquired a pattern for a Cloche hat.  It was my intention to make a hat for a couple outfits I am sending out to have modeled (need to finish those, pics soon).  It was then I decided that style of hat would be perfect for Jessica!  So I used the same floral as above and picked out two coordinating fabrics from my stash boxes and made the hat below.  I added a clip strap to the band so Jessica could wear a bow or flower attached to a clip or just wear the hat.  The bow I am sending also.  I LOVE this hat.  I'd like to make another for Kate.  

   

I hope I am able to see a picture of Jessica wearing it but that will be up to her parents.  I can't wait to ship it out.  

No comments: